Milk and milk products that are prescribed under Australia's export rules
- are milk or milk products derived from a bovine animal; and
- are intended to be exported as food.
Milk and milk products that are not prescribed under Australia's export rules
Milk and milk products which do not meet the criteria under the Export Control (Milk and Milk Products) Rules 2021 are classified by Australia as non-prescribed goods. It is the responsibility of the exporter to confirm with China if there are any specific requirements for the import of these products.
Examples of non-prescribed goods are:
- ice cream;
- cheesecakes, Bavarian desserts and similar desserts;
- milk or milk products encased in pastry or a fruit or vegetable product;
- milk products where milk or milk products are not the major component;
- milk or milk products obtained from a non-bovine animal;
- milk or milk products that are animal food or pharmaceutical material;
- liquid milk and milk products exported in a consignment of not more than 10 litres;
- milk or milk products exported in a consignment of not more than 10 kilograms;
- milk or milk products in the form of a tablet or capsule;
- milk or milk products for export to New Zealand.
Further information on
exporting non-prescribed goods from Australia is available on the Department's website.
In some cases, an importing country requires specific health certification and government oversight for what would typically be non-prescribed milk and milk products. When required, these products become prescribed under export legislation and must meet all export and importing country requirements. This includes, the products being manufactured and stored at an export registered establishment and must have a valid export permit and health certificate for each consignment. Guidance on export registration can be found at
Dairy export registered establishments.
Health certification for milk and milk products
For milk and milk products produced for human consumption (including milk and milk products classified as a prescribed good by an importing Country), use either health certificate template ZDCN01 (stage one infant formula) or ZDCN02 (for products other than stage one infant formula).
Whenever export documentation is obtained, the exporter must provide a declaration stating that all the information provided in the permit is true and complete. They must also state that they are in possession of a declaration of compliance that:
- applies to the milk and milk products
- complies with the requirements of the Export Control (Milk and Milk Products) Rules 2021.
The following exporter declaration is needed for fresh liquid milk (MIL) dairy products:
"The milk in this REX complies with Chinese requirements for heat treatment, cold chain, packaging, shelf life and end product testing and is eligible for entry into China."
The following exporter declaration is needed for infant formula (INF) products:
"The infant formula in this REX complies with Chinese requirements for Cronobacter (Enterobacter) sakazakii and is eligible for entry into China."
Health certification for milk and milk products of non-bovine origin
Health Certificate template ZDCN01 (stage one infant formula) or ZDCN02 (for products other than stage one infant formula) are to be used.
For non-bovine milk and milk products and colostrum for human consumption (including milk and milk products of buffalo, goat and sheep species) to China to be eligible for health certification, the manufacturer must be export registered. Guidance on export registration for manufacturer's producing non-bovine milk and milk products can be found at
Dairy export registered establishments.
For further information on export registration and exporting non-bovine milk and milk products and colostrum for human consumption to China please contact the Dairy Eggs and Fish Program at
For dairy stage one infant formula, use the ZDCN01 Health Certificate template which contains the following attestations:
All stage one infant formula being exported to China must be tested for Cronobacter (Enterobacter) sakazakii, you must have analytical certificates issued by National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accredited laboratories which substantiate the certificate endorsement "The above product has been tested in Australia and found to be free of Cronobacter (Enterobacter) sakazakii." These certificates must be available during audit or as requested by the Department.
Please note that
Enterobacter sakazakii is the former name for
Milk and milk products other than stage one infant formula
For milk and milk products (other than stage one infant formula), use the ZDCN02 Health Certificate template which contains the following attestations:
- The above dairy products have been prepared from pasteurised milk or milk that has received treatment of equivalent severity. Animals from which these products were taken were free from clinical diseases caused by agents listed in the Office international des Epizooties List A for the species concerned and live in an area free of these diseases. I further certify that Foot and Mouth Disease, Rinderpest and Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy do not exist in Australia.
- I hereby certify that to the best of my knowledge the conditions or restrictions applicable under the particular inspection system prescribed under the Export Control Act have been complied with in respect of the prescribed good described above, being goods that are:
- In sound condition
- Fit for human consumption
- Of Australian origin
Transit certification requirements
Milk and milk products transiting the European Union or the United States may require transit documentation. These certificates are available as additional certificates through the Department's electronic certification system. If the product is transiting the United States, standard certification is required and the exporter should contact the Department for advice on how this certification may be issued. If the product is transiting a European Union member state, see the particular European Union member state regarding the certificate template to select.