Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
A permit is required and can be obtained from:
- Director of Veterinary Services
PO Box CY66
Causeway, Harare, Zimbabwe
- +(263) 242 791516
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
As importing country requirements may change without advice to the department you should check the import permit and/or the country website carefully at the time of preparation for export.
As included in an import permit issued in November 2020:
Have, as far as I can ascertain, either been continuously resident in the exporting country since birth, or have been continuously resident in the exporting country or South Africa for the last six months.
Originate from an area which is not under official veterinary restrictions by the Veterinary Administration of the exporting country for any disease to which carnivores are susceptible.
Did not as far as is possible to determine, come into contact with animals infected or suspected of being infected with rabies.
Have a valid rabies vaccination, as stipulated below or have been exempted from having rabies vaccination.
Vaccination date of animal being exported to be completed for animals over 3 months
Vaccination date of mother of animal being exported to be completed for animals under 3 months
Type of vaccine
Type of vaccine
- Have been examined clinically by an official veterinarian within 10 days of export and were found to be free of internal and external parasites, contagious and infectious diseases to which the species is susceptible and fit to travel.
- Will be shipped in containers which conform to IATA regulations, which will be either new or suitable disinfected and fumigated before loading and are of such a nature that contact with other animals of a lesser health status, en route, is prevented.
- In the case of cats from the United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand vaccination for rabies is not required.
Return to Australia
Basis for Micor entry
Based on and Import Permit issued in November 2020. Entry last reviewed 30 April 2021.
20/05/2021 - Extensive changes were made to all sections of this entry.