Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
An import permit is required and is available from:
Department of Research and Specialist Services
PO Box 50060
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
As importing country requirements may change without advice to the Department you should check the import documents and/or the country website carefully at the time of preparation for export.
The following information was provided in a permit issued by the Zambian authorities in April 2018:
A health certificate, signed by an Australian Government Veterinary Officer is required, to the effect that the dog(s) is healthy and fit to travel with the animals having been examined 48 hours prior to dispatch.
- (f) The animals should originate from an area free from quarantine restrictions for contagious or infectious diseases for the species are susceptible OR if the animals are from within 24 kilometres of an area with a contagious or an infectious disease for the species are susceptible, they must have been vaccinated with an approved vaccine and hold a valid vaccination certificate.
- (g) All canine and feline animals should have been vaccinated against Rabies with an approved Rabies vaccine:
- Not less than 14 days prior to date of shipment.
- Not more than one year prior to shipment in case of a primary and booster vaccination.
- For animals less than 3 months old the mother must have been vaccinated within one year prior to date of shipment.
- (h) The animals must be free from internal or external parasites OR should have been treated for ecto and endo-parasites at least 1 week before date of shipment.
The importing country may have specific transport requirements and you should check this.
Pre- and post-arrival quarantine requirements
The importing country may have specific pre- and post-arrival quarantine requirements and you should check this.
Return to Australia
Basis for Micor entry
Based on a permit issued in April 2018.
Entry last reviewed 6 August 2021.
26/08/2021 - Extensive changes were made to all sections of this entry.