Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
An import permit, health certificate and owner declaration are required.
Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Forests and Fisheries (MAFFF) for information about the process required to import animals into the Kingdom of Tonga from Australia.
- Department of Agriculture
PO Box 14
KINGDOM OF TONGA
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
The following conditions were provided in a permit issued by the authorities of the Kingdom of Tonga in November 2019.
1. For the importation of dogs the presentation of an international animal health certificate is required, attesting that the animals
- a) Were examined within 24 hours of shipment, found to be in good health and showed no sign of any infectious disease.
- b) Have been effectively vaccinated against distemper, hepatitis and canine parvovirus at least one month and not more than three months before shipment.
- c) Have been effectively treated against echinococcosis-hydatidosis within three days of shipment.
- d) Have been effectively treated against round, hook and whipworms within three days of shipment.
- e) Have been effectively treated against, and found on examination to be visibly free of, ectoparasites within three days of shipment.
- f) 1. Showed no clinical signs of rabies on the day of shipment, and were kept since birth or for the six months prior to shipment in the exporting country provided that no cases of rabies was officially reported in the exporting country during the two years immediately preceding the importation of the animals concerned.
Supplementary conditions for the importation of dogs:
Pre and post arrival quarantine requirements
2. As soon as the animals arrive in Tonga they shall immediately be taken under the control of a veterinary officer to a quarantine ground or other premise approved by the Director where the animals shall remain until a veterinary officer releases them.
General conditions of permit to import live animals:
d) All importations of animals are to be accompanied by
- The import permit issued for the importation
- A declaration signed by the owner or exporter of the animals providing such information and guarantees as may require regarding the identification, history and origin of the animals.
- An international animal health certificate signed and stamped by an official veterinary officer of the exporting country certifying the state of good health of the animals and giving particulars, where applicable of the biological tests to which the animal have been subjected, the vaccination carried out on the animals which are the subject of the certificate and any measures taken to prevent the spread of disease.
(e) Unless special provision has been made on the import permit, animals must be transported directly to Tonga without transhipment, offloading or contact with animals not subject to the same import permit or animals not of equivalent certified health status from the port of departure to the port of arrival in Tonga.
Return to Australia
Basis for Micor entry
Based on a permit issued in November 2019 and importing country website and information.
Entry last reviewed 31 August 2021.
Last updated: 8/11/2022 11:50 AMCreated: 15/01/2015 12:38 PM