Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
The requirements for importing live animals into the Malaysian state of Sarawak may be different to those for Malaysia more generally, with locally imposed arrangements in place. You should consult the separate Micor entry for Malaysia if necessary.
An import permit and health certificate are required.
Contact the Sarawak Department of Veterinary Services for information about the process required to import animals into Sarawak from Australia.
There are Import Conditions and Regulations for the importation of dogs and cats into Sarawak, Malaysia and you should check these.
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
There are no agreed conditions or health certificate for the importation of dogs or cats into Sarawak from Australia.
Certifying officers must review the import permit(s), any conditions provided by the exporter, the website of the importing authority, and ensure that the issued document(s) are consistent with the permit(s).
The following conditions were sourced form a permit issued in December 2019:
(1) The cat(s) must be accompanied by a Health Certificate signed by a Government Veterinary Officer of the exporting country certifying that the:
- (i) cat(s) are of Australia origin and have been domiciled in Australia for at least 6 months.
- (ii) or has been born out of parents which have been domiciled in Australia for the last 12 months.
- (iii) Upon arrival at the Airport the cat(s) must be scanned and the microchip on the cat(s) should be tally that indicated in the health certificate.
- The veterinary health certificate should certify that the animal(s) have been examined within the seven days immediately preceding the import and found to be free from rabies infection and any clinical sign of infections or contagious diseases of dogs or cats.
The importing country may have specific transport requirements and you should check this.
Pre and post arrival quarantine requirements
The importing country may have specific pre- and post-arrival quarantine requirements and you should check this.
Return to Australia
Basis for Micor entry
Based on a permit issued in December 2019 and importing country website and information.
Entry last reviewed 3 December 2021.
07/10/2022 - Extensive changes were made to all sections of this entry.