Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
An import permit and health certificate are required.
New Caledonian Department of Veterinary, Food and Rural Affairs (DAVAR) for information about the process required to import animals into New Caledonia from Australia.
- Animal Quarantine
37, subdivision KSI
BP M2 - 98849
Refer to this and the Department’s websites for current information about exporting animals (including any suspensions or restrictions).
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
As importing country requirements may change without advice to the Department you should check the import permit and/or the country website carefully at the time of preparation for export.
Certifying officers must review the import permit(s) and conditions provided by the exporter and ensure that the issued document(s) are consistent with the permit(s).
There is a model health certificate to accompany cats from Australia to New Caledonia (DOCX 45 KB | PDF 256 KB). It is the responsibility of the exporter to contact the
Animal Quarantine Department in New Caledonia to ensure that the certificate is current.
- The import permit obtained from New Caledonia will usually reference the required health certificate for the import. It is the exporter's responsibility to confirm and prepare the animals to be exported to those conditions.
Once issued, the
Department regional office must provide an electronic copy of the health certification to the authority of New Caledonia at firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to their morphology, snub-nosed animals (so-called brachycephalic) can suffer from respiratory problems during flight due to stress. This risk is real and must be taken seriously into consideration. In order to optimize the animal's well-being, please respect the following instructions:
- use a cage larger than the one normally required to limit the feeling of tightness and reduce stress;
- provide a certificate of fitness for air travel drawn up by a veterinarian.
The breeds concerned include the following:
- Dogs : Affenpinscher, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Bouledoques, Cane Corso, Pug, Dogue de Bordeaux, English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Spaniel, Tibetan Spaniel, Brussels Griffon, Lhasa Apso, Mastiff, Pekingese, Presa Canario, Shi Tzu and Shar Pei.
- Cats : Burmese, Exotic Shorthair, Himalayan, Persian.
Information sourced from the
importing country website in November 2021.
The importing country may have specific transport requirements and you should check this.
Pre and post arrival quarantine requirements
The importing country may have specific pre and post arrival quarantine requirements and you should check this.
Return to Australia
Basis for Micor entry
Based on importing country website and information.
Entry last reviewed 12 November 2021.
07/09/2022 - Extensive changes were made to all sections of this entry.