Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
Plant Protection and Agriculture Quarantine Division for information about importing animals into the Republic of Nauru from Australia.
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
As importing country requirements may change without advice to the Department you should check the import permit and/or the country website carefully at the time of preparation for export.
Certifying officers must review the import permit(s), any conditions provided by the exporter, the website of the importing authority, and ensure that the issued document(s) are consistent with the permit(s).
The following conditions were provided in a permit issued in September 2021:
For the importation of live dogs, the presentation of an international animal health certificate is required, attesting that the animals:
- (a) were examined within 48 hours of shipment, found to be in good health and showed no sign of any infectious disease.
- (b) have been effectively vaccinated against distemper, hepatitis and canine parvovirus at least one month and not more than three months before shipment.
- (c) have been effectively treated against echinococcosis-hydatidosis, round hook and whip worms within three days of shipment.
- (d) have been effectively treated against, and found on examination to be visibly free of, all ectoparasites within three days of shipment.
- (e) showed no clinical sign of rabies the day prior to shipment, and were kept from birth or for six month prior to shipment in the exporting country, where no case of rabies was officially reported during the two years immediately preceding the importation of the animals concerned.
- (f) have been vaccinated with an inactivated rabies virus more than thirty days prior to entry into the Republic, and
- (g) for animals originating from a country or a part of a country where rabies occurs or is reported to occur or where rabies vaccination is routinely practiced must undergo a period of not less than 120 days in an approved quarantine facility recognized by the Republic as rabies free area prior to entry to the Republic.
- The importation into Nauru of any female dog, or any male dog which has not been rendered permanently incapable of procreation, is prohibited.
- All live dogs to be imported into the Republic of Nauru must be castrated or spayed prior to their arrival into the Republic.
All required quarantine documents for importation must be presented to Nauru Quarantine four weeks prior to the process of importing.
The importing country may have specific transport requirements and you should check this.
Pre- and post-arrival quarantine requirements
Upon arrival in the Republic, imported dogs shall immediately be taken under the control of an Inspector to the quarantine premises previously approved by the Chief of Quarantine, whereas the animals shall remain until they are released by an Inspector.
Return to Australia
Basis for Micor entry
Based on a permit issued in September 2021 and importing country website and information.
Entry last reviewed 28 September 2021.
14/12/2021 - Extensive changes were made to all sections of this entry.