Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
Plant Protection and Agriculture Quarantine Division for information about importing animals into the Republic of Nauru from Australia.
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
As importing country requirements may change without advice to the Department you should check the import permit and/or the country website carefully at the time of preparation for export.
Certifying officers must review the import permit(s), any conditions provided by the exporter, the website of the importing authority, and ensure that the issued document(s) are consistent with the permit(s).
The following conditions were provided in a permit issued in January 2016:
The importation of cats into the Republic requires presentation of an international animal health certificate, attesting that the animals:
- a. Were examined within 48 hours of shipment, found to be in good health and showed no sign of any infectious disease.
- b. Have been effectively vaccinated against feline panleucopaenia in accordance with product's registration at least one month and not more than twelve (12) months before shipment, and feline viral rhinotrachietis/calici virus in accordance with the product's registration at least one month and not more than six (6) months before shipment.
- c. Have been effectively treated against echinococcosis-hydatidosis, round hook and whip worms in accordance with the products registration within three (3) days of shipment.
- d. Have been effectively treated against, and found on examination to be visibly free of, all ectoparasites in accordance with the product's registration within three (3) days of shipment.
- e. Showed no clinical sign of rabies on the day of shipment, and were kept from birth or for six months prior to shipment in the exporting country where no case of rabies was officially reported during the two years immediately preceding the importation of the animals concerned.
- f. For animals originating from a country or part of a country where rabies occurs or is reported to occur or where rabies vaccination is routinely practices must undergo a period of not less than 120 days in an approved quarantine facility recognized by the Republic as rabies free area prior to entry to the Republic.
The importing country may have specific transport requirements and you should check this.
Pre- and post-arrival quarantine requirements
Upon arrival in the Republic, imported cats shall immediately be taken under the control of an Inspector to the quarantine premises previously approved by the Chief of Quarantine, whereat the animals shall remain until they are released by an Inspector.
Return to Australia
Basis for Micor entry
Based on a permit issued in January 2016 and importing country website and information.
Entry last reviewed 28 September 2021.
14/12/2021 - Extensive changes were made to all sections of this entry.