Importing country requirements
It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the importing country requirements.
Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries for information about the process required to import animals into Japan from Australia.
The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
Notification System for the Importation of Animals into Japan provides additional information about the importation of birds into Japan.
Refer to these and the Department’s websites for current information about exporting animals (including any suspensions).
- Where an importing country issues an import permit, the exporter must ensure the animal meets any requirements in the permit.
- Name and address of the government authority of the exporting country:
- Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
- 18 Marcus Clarke Street, Canberra, ACT, 2601
- Origin of Animal(s)
- 2.1 Name and address of consignor:
- Destination of Animal(s):
- 3.1 Name and address of consignee:
- 3.2 Name of vessel or flight number:
- 3.3 Place of boarding or loading:
- 3.4 Date of boarding or loading:
- Sanitary Information:
- I, …………………………………………., the undersigned, a duly authorised Government Veterinary Officer certify that:
- The birds showed no clinical signs of West Nile fever, highly pathogenic avian influenza, low pathogenic avian influenza or other infectious disease at the time of shipment.
- The birds met one of the following conditions: (delete sentence as necessary)
- a) The birds were hatched and raised in captivity, and have been kept for the past 21 days (or since hatching) in an establishment with preventative measures against the invasion of mosquitoes, in a region that the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan has designated as a region where highly pathogenic avian influenza or low pathogenic avian influenza has not been confirmed.
- b) The birds were not hatched in captivity, and have been kept for the past 21 days in a quarantine facility with preventative measures against the invasion of mosquitoes, in a region that the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan has designated as a region where highly pathogenic avian influenza or low pathogenic avian influenza has not been confirmed.
A packing list may be required to be attached to certification documents detailing breed, sex, age and any distinctive markings.
The importing country may have specific transport requirements and you should check this.
Pre- and post-arrival quarantine requirements
The importing country may have specific pre- and post-arrival quarantine requirements and you should check this.
Return to Australia
Not all live animals are permitted to be imported into Australia. You should make yourself familiar with the
Department's requirements for importing live animals. This is important as your animal may have been exposed to diseases that do not occur in Australia.
Basis for Micor entry
Based on health conditions updated in August 2016 and importing country website and information.
Entry last reviewed 9 July 2021.
Last updated: 31/08/2022 1:48 PMCreated: 15/01/2015 12:48 PM