Sign In

Live animals

Aquatic animals


European Union (EU)

​​[expand all]

Importing country requirements

It is the exporter's responsibility to ensure that the animal meets the European Union (EU) import requirements.

Information about the process required to import aquatic animals into the European Union can be found on the EU website.

The import and transit of aquatic animals into the EU is strictly regulated under EU legislation and enforced by the Department through Departmental officers in the regional office from where the animals are to be exported.

It is the responsibility of the exporter to use the appropriate EU health certificate and ensure that this and any accompanying declarations are in English and the appropriate language of the EU member state of the border inspection post (BIP) / border control post (BCP) where the animals will enter the EU.

The European Commission has advised that from January 2022, Catalaphyllia jardinae, Duncanopsammia axifuga, Euphyllia paraancora, Euphyllia glabresecens, and Euphyllia ancora have been banned for import into the EU and its 27 member countries from Australia.

Health requirements

All aquatic animals exported to the EU intended for specific aquaculture establishments, for release into the wild or for other purposes excluding human consumption must travel under the health certificate found below.

This new certificate may be used for the movement of aquatic animals to the EU from April 2021 and must be used for all consignments exported on or after 15 September 2023​.

Certificate for movement of aquatic animals to the EU – effective September 2023​:

A guidance document (PDF 166 KB | DOCX 45 KB) is available to assist with completion of the Model Health Certificate.

Australian Departmental officers will only endorse health certification for aquatic animals destined to the EU if it is written in English and, where required, an official language of the EU Member State of the BIP where the animals will enter the EU.

Australian Departmental officers will not endorse health certification for aquatic animals destined to the EU if only presented in a language other than English.

Member States of the EU and their ISO codes​
Member StateISO CodeMember StateISO Code
Czech RepublicCZNetherlandsNL

To complete point I.7 of the EU health certificate you will need to name the exporting country and its ISO code.

Exporting country and their ISO code
Exporting countryISO code

Special conditions

Permission to move aquatic animals out of Australia

You may need permission under wildlife trade laws to move aquatic animals out of Australia. Refer to the Department’s International and wildlife trade requirements.


Export from Australia of Australian native hatchery bred fingerlings or ova should be accompanied by approval of the hatchery facility from the appropriate State or Federal authority. Refer to the Department’s Exporting fish and fish products from Australia for information about exports for human consumption.

Basis for Micor entry

Based on importing requirements sourced from European Commission website.

Entry last reviewed 1 February 2022.

Latest updates

08/09/2023 - Updated Model Health Certificate.
29/08/2022 - Advice on ban on certain species of coral from January 2022.
06/09/2021 - Page created.
Last updated: 31/10/2023 9:14 AMCreated: 6/09/2021 9:41 AM