Consignments are to be free from pests, soil, weed seeds and extraneous material.
The following are classed as fruits (as they develop from a flower) and any specifically listed conditions or generic Phyto case conditions apply:
The Ministry of Environment & Water, United Arab Emirates (UAE) has advised the following:
- The insect taxon Family Isotomidae (Springtails), (Order Collembola – Suborder Arthropleona) is of cosmopolitan distribution in the UAE.
- The family Hypogastruridae and both of its genera are not present in the UAE
- Where springtails of the Hypogastruridae family are present in a consignment, the following MAXIMUM TOLERANCE is to be applied:
- five (5) individuals or any stages of this family on any piece of fruit or vegetable; and
- a maximum tolerance of ten (10) individuals or any stage of this family in a carton (or equivalent) of fruit & vegetables.
The practical application of this advise for the export of fresh fruit and vegetables to the UAE, is that any live springtails detected upon arrival exceeding the above tolerance, may result in the consignment being rejected, it is recommended that this tolerance be applied to all springtails detected.
- If springtails above the tolerance levels are detected in the export consignment, the exporter can elect to obtain an official identification by an entomologist to determine which family they belong to.
- All shipments must be free from Red-back spiders (Lactrodectus hasselti) at the time of export.